When I was 22 years old, I spent a year travelling on foot and the backs of lorries across much of North and Central Africa. I came back a changed person with a different set of values and almost immediately met people in Bristol with whom I set up a workers co-operative selling vegetarian wholefoods to shops across South West England and Wales.
We grew fast and I started my lifelong career in developing enterprises and organisations that create positive social and environmental change. Since then I have:
- Established and grown twelve successful charities, social enterprises, SMEs and worker co-operatives.
- Led 5 successful social enterprises and SMEs as Chief Executive and Managing Director.
- Led two charities as Chief Executive over twelve years, and Fundraising Director for a third.
- Facilitated strategy events, conferences and away days for over 20 organisations both in the UK and globally.
- Consulted and collaborated with over 50 charities and social enterprises to deliver growth and fulfil strategy and mission.
- Led successful mergers, acquisitions and cross-sector partnerships for charities, social enterprises and SMEs.
- Raised tens of millions in social enterprise funding, grants, commissioned contracts, start-up capital, donations, corporate partnerships, loans and re-financing.
- Been an early innovator in digital technology for charities leading and developing a number of digital transformation processes (across service delivery, social enterprise, fundraising and marketing).
- Won numerous awards including IoD Director of the Year for Leadership in Corporate Responsibility 2017.
Other work that I do
- Founder and non - executive Director of Connect Assist, the UK's leading provide of charity helplines and digital technology
- Non - executive Chair of Astarita, Aldrich and Ward, a global leadership consultancy and search practice
- Trustee of BWB Foundation that runs the Stephen Lloyd Awards to find and nurture innovative ideas and projects